Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Big Cake Project 2008 - Part Five

The last and third vanilla-flavoured layer is baked and photographed below. The layers will be trimmed to 15" x 15". On Friday night the cake will be filled with home-made lemon curd and then coated twice with a generous amount of cooked buttercream icing. On Saturday the tiles will be placed as you would if you were tiling your bathroom. That's why we need fairly generous amounts of the icing - to hold it all on!

Once this last layer is cooled and covered, I'll be off to bed. Stay tuned...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo - that caramel colour is gorgeous. A slab of goodness. Hide it from Mr. Tibbles...

Anonymous said...

Yep... as there's no room left on the spare room bed (all covered in tiles) I've had to leave the cake layers on the dining room table. But they are very well covered and then I mounded some plastic bags around them. He usually hates those. Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely perfect. Can't wait to see the assembled product!

Anonymous said...

Kudos! The cake is very evenly baked. I'm not sure if I have the temperature too high because when I bake my cake it is usually a little more browned around the edges.

Anonymous said...

Well... the other thing is is that I'm using a brand new oven. And it does seem to cook very evenly. Much better than my old one. And the big cake pan fits in very well. In the old one it was always on a bit of a wonky slant! Kind of like me. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Like a magazine picture! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Just a note to let you know that I made your Tai Chicken tonight and it was a huge success!! It's going to be a regular at Willow Manor...thanks so much for sharing it! :D

Anonymous said...

I love that cake.

A great yearning for spag bol suddenly overtook me earlier this morning. Being like dear Oscar Wilde and able to resist anything but temptation, it is now simmering happily away on the stove (or puttering as Nigella would say) where it will remain for the afternoon. Now, where’s the parmesan? I know there’s some round here somewhere ...