Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Channelling Marlene

I was walking past the fire station today. It's not hard to do as I work right next to it. I mean, when we have a fire alarm, the trucks come screeching out of their wide driveway and immediately screech to halt outside our building. But on this occasion the guys were moving the trucks around to wash them or practice their ladder climbing - I'm not sure which as I got too discombobulated. As I walked past one of them, the doors opened and out got three firemen. I am not exaggerating when I say these were three of the most strikingly attractive men I'd seen in a long time. Each in a different way. Each said "Hello!"

And what was my response? Something like this:

"Glwwwwrrghhhhahhhhh."

Poise abandoned me. I'm not sure if they looked surprised or I was just so startled by myself that I'm remembering it badly, but as I stumbled past I made a mental note to self: Watch some Marlene Dietrich movies. Of course if I'd sidled up to them in a oyster-coloured silk, bias-cut, mermaid-tailed, spaghetti-strapped chanteuse gown with a fox stole over my shoulder and murmured "Eef you really loffed me you vould keel yourself" they'd probably have had me arrested.

Dagnabit!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to practice your sidling, daaaaaling! ;)

(dagnabit)

Anonymous said...

Yes... I think though at this point the most I can aim for is to emulate the wonderful Madeline Kahn as Lili Von Shtupp (channelling Dietrich) in "Blazing Saddles":

[Singing:]
Here I stand,
the goddess of desire
Set men on fire
I have this power.
Morning, noon, and night,
it's dwink and dancing
Some quick womancing
And then a shower.
Stage door Johnnies
constantly suwwound me
They always hound me,
with one wequest.
Who can satisfy
their lustful habits?
I'm not a wabbit.
I need some we...
[Takes a breath]
... est.

And now I need some west - er rest. Off to bed! Good night all!

Anonymous said...

Funny story...you'll have to make a point of crossing their paths again and get a second chance! :)
Easy to do working next door!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad i've found your blog...'swonderful!

Anonymous said...

Betsy: Yes, shall work on that and report back!

Tumbleweed: And now I've discovered yours, which is a treasure trove I know I will enjoy exploring. :)

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when I read this. You have to practice your response in these types of encounters. It will help you overcome your tongue tiedness (I just made that word up...lol)