Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour 2008

There has been a quite outstanding reaction to Earth Hour here. It seems gazillions of people have signed up to do something to mark this time, starting at 8 p.m. tonight. I'll be home tonight after a very busy day. And, in keeping with the Buddhist book I am reading (all new and very interesting to me), I am going to mark Earth Hour by turning off everything (including my computer) and laying in the dark meditating. I might also pop my head out the window and check out the stars (I doubt it'll help much as all street lights are staying on so probably ambient light won't be too affected, but who knows.)

I'm almost dreading it because my mind tends to work on super overdrive. It doesn't always look this way to the outside world. I think for the most part I seem very calm and serene. It's really not true. My thoughts feel like they are shooting around my brain like popping corn or something. (Mmmmm... popcorn. I think I shall make some tonight in my big saucepan.) So... when I do try and meditate it takes a long time to let the "thinking" stop and the being just happen.

I shall report back to you all and would love to hear how/if you plan to mark Earth Hour.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello blog princess and thanks for your encouraging words about my works. I was wondering about turning out the lights too.. Know what you mean about mind wandering. Perhaps I'll paint by candlelight :)
Happy weekend to you :)

Anonymous said...

Did you notice that Google "turned the lights out?" Don't know what I am doing tonight, but it will be without light - that much I know! I am going to the market shortly to get sustenance for the dark. When it comes to meditation, I know what you mean. It’s hard to stop the thoughts, but, as I read somewhere, don’t fight the thoughts. Have them, acknowledge them, and let them float by. Eventually, they are not an interruption. It also helps to focus on something else – a candle, a photo, the “third eye.” Well, that’s my two cents worth. Happy Earth Hour.

Anonymous said...

Meditating (or, lately, even sleeping) can be very difficult for me for the same reason. When I'm alone with my thoughts, dozens of ideas flash through my brain, all demanding equal time. My natural state of being apparently includes cranial overload.

Anonymous said...

You know, I don't think too much was made of Earth Hour here in the states. I wouldn't have heard of it except from a few of my blogger friends ~ non-US ~ and Google, who had it on there homesite. We couldn't turn everything off with our triplets here. They would have been bouncing off the walls wondering why in the world they couldn't be on the computer or watch a video. But it was a nice thought. So, did you meditate or fall asleep? And what did Tibbles do? :)

Anonymous said...

turning off the power was a good thought...except that those advertising the event wasted far more resources in printing posters (in Australia) on paper and plastic, and in glorious technicolour...than would have been saved by me turning off a 22watt globe in my house...ah well. at least it gave many some food for thought and reminded a few people that one doesn't really need the miracle of electricity ALL the time...

Anonymous said...

Well... I did turn off everything and I lay down and pondered things. And yes, my mind was racing, in fact I felt a bit unnerved by the whole thing. It is odd to be in a city and have it be dark. There is usually so much ambient light around my neighbourhood. Anyway, before long my mind did slow down and then... I fell asleep! D'oh!

Tibby slept (normal behaviour of course).

You speak wisely O Tumbling Weed. I think the basic awareness was very helpful. I found myself today trying to turn lights off and thinking about what I can do. That's the big message this single Earth Hour: the power of the individual to make a real difference. We can but hope. :)