Saturday, March 22, 2008

Some Pictures

A while ago I was given a tube from Soma Chocolates (lousy website, wonderful store). It was a blood-orange/Madagascar dark chocolate mixture that was coated in more dark chocolate. Really, really delicious. And the sort of thing you can't scoff, but have to eat in small slices. Really, and this is me talking. I mean, if it's scoffable, I'll scoff it. But a bit of this goes a long way.

So for this weekend's cake marathon, I bought another Soma tube. This is the Gianduja variety: slow-roasted hazelnuts are cradled in a hazelnut/milk-chocolate mixture and coated in dark chocolate. It is this tube that is photographed below. They have a Sicilian pistachio variety that I shall have to buy my mother when she returns to the country as pistachio is one of her very favourite tastes. So, all I'm saying is, if you are in the Toronto vicinity - treat yourself! And there is much more chocolately wonderfulness for sale at Soma apart from these tubes. A short intense shot of their drink of the gods is always a must, especially in the cold weather.



The tubes are about an inch across and about a foot and a half long. This tube is half-eaten as you can see. And here are two small portions of it, in extreme closeup...



And because I was treating myself, here is a picture of my new favourite mug. It's a Denby mug, but I think it's part of a discontinued line so I picked it up for practically nothing. It's very easy to hold and the curved rim is perfectly designed. Plus it's purple. What more can I say?



And from today's wanderings: the beach at Oakville looking back along the coastline of Lake Ontario to Toronto. I've marked where the CN Tower is.



Knox Presbyterian Church was just so outstanding against the intense blue sky. I feel like a pit pony at times, that's been underground for months. What a winter this has been. So even though it was very cold today, it was wonderful to see that blue sky, which made the white trimmings of the church really pop.



By the lake in Oakville there are lovely old homes that the local historical society has plaqued with the names of the original owners and their occupations. On this first one you can see the plaque on the white fence. It says: 1837, James McDonald, Carpenter. See all the snow we still have?



This one below says: 1835, David Patterson, Shipbuilder.



I'm going to retreat to my DVD fireplace and warm myself by its cathode rays.

No comments: