Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Poem of the Day

Each season of the year I will be forgetting you
all over. Each season, every year.
I will need to forget you each summer, spring... autumn and winter.

*****

I will be forgetting you each day and every hour.
Each night and day, each hour something
wonderful and dear of you will ring my heart and knock upon my mind.

*****

I will be forgetting you in silence and in song... in silence will I
dream dreams of you too wonderful to dare aloud -
and of words I shall not use for anyone but you I shall make poems.

When a star falls, I shall wish for you.
When the moon is new, I shall wish for you.
When a bird looks into my window, when a leaf falls before me, when I find
a fern in flower - I shall wish for you.

Except from "Entry August 9", This is My Beloved by Walter Benton (1943).

I fell asleep at 8 p.m. like a twit. Now it's 2 a.m. and I'm recalling melancholy love poetry. Shall take my anthology of e.e. cummings and head back to bed.

No comments: