Saturday, November 3, 2007

Dream of Wheat

Instead of cut flowers, I decided last week to buy some wheat. Yes, a kind of sheaf of it I suppose. Of course it turned out to be more than I had anticipated when I actually unrolled the bundle. Now I have two large vases of it in my home and if I hover near them, there is a lovely scent of mown hay. I can lay on my sofa, one arm over my head, the other toying with a frond of wheat, imagining I am lounging in my very own barn, on a break in the countryside between international book-signing tours. It certainly does smell barn-like... without the concomitant crudities of the livestock.

Why did I post this? Because I'm procrastinating. There is something I must do and I don't want to do it. I have bribed myself with chocolate, but I ate it already without completing my task. Whatever discipline I possess completely disappears on the weekend, which is how it should be I suppose. I think I'll go and inhale the wheat again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sheaf of wheat brings back memories. In an earlier time I bought & sold wheat seed. The farmers and I would walk thru the ripening fields inspecting the crop for quality, weeds and possible disease. The smells were wonderful, the sound of the wind rustling the heads, the fields waving like a calm sea.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful imagery Cowboy, as all your writing exhibits. Do you know the song "Fields of Gold"? Written and sung originally sung by Sting, but I love Eva Cassidy's version.