Thursday, November 1, 2007

Outlandishly Good

So, a few years back, a certain Jen convinced me (it took a few tries) to read Outlander (known as Cross Stitch in the UK) by Diana Gabaldon. And was I ever pleased she did. It's only part one of a series of fat, small-print books (hovering around 1,000 pages each on average) that now number six... with at least two more volumes to come apparently!

Diana Gabaldon is a very smart, very attractive 50-ish American who has won the hearts of women around the world... women grateful for the most irresistibly gorgeous hero ever written, Jamie Fraser... but more on him in a minute.

Outlander, the first novel in the series, starts with Claire Beauchamp, a clever, forthright English nurse, taking a second honeymoon with Frank, her historian husband, in the highlands of Scotland, Inverness to be precise.

Long story short, Claire is whooshed 200 years back in time and stumbles upon a whole lot of adventure, most of it wrapped up in the tall, red/auburn/cinnamon/ginger-haired, strapping figure of the lusty young Jamie Fraser.

At this point, my post might become an illiterate, drooling lust-fest of Jamie-fever, but I shall attempt to control myself and tell you this: you have a strong, admirable heroine; a gorgeous, manly, kilted, brave, haunted, succulent hero; the highlands of Scotland (and other parts of the world) magnificently described (I'm sure Gabaldon has boosted Scottish tourism); a sweeping saga of unforgettable personalities and in-depth depictions of historic events; violence a-plenty and good dollops of lusty sex (these are novels that men can enjoy as much as women, don't be fooled otherwise); fantastically detailed accounts of social history; the challenging and irresistible idea of time travel... all set to the hypnotic sounds of thick Scottish accents. AND you have six volumes of it to enjoy so far! Yes, book #5 does take a while to get going... but who cares? Pah! - not me!

So... my point is - don't even pause to think. If you have yet to succumb to Gabaldon's world, I urge you to give it a go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like just the kind of world I would love escaping to....scotch and sex.....care to join me?

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you need to form a blog of favourite things starting with "S". I started mine with words beginning with "F" and look where it got me! Okay, not sure what the answer to that is, but... there you go. Okay, I'll stop rambling now.