Monday, November 12, 2007

Tonight

I lit all the candles tonight (including the four floor-length candlesticks), turned on the DVD fireplace, opened a bottle of red wine and set two small lamb shanks to braising. To the strains of Marcello's oboe concerto, I searched for my copy of Speak, Memory, to no avail. Picked up Suite Francaise, and was plunged into despair over the human race. Then Elegy for Iris by John Bayley. More despair. Finally turned to my old Tin Tin comic books, a stand by from childhood for when I want to retreat to bed and be comforted. Full of lamb and wine (with enough lamb for dinner tomorrow), I let myself dissolve into the world of that ace boy reporter Tin Tin, his faithful terrier Snowy and all their sidekicks. I love those books, especially those drawn in the 30s and 40s. Not sure what my favourite is... The Seven Crystal Balls (the first one I ever read)?... King Ottokar's Sceptre?... Red Rackham's Treasure?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey....candlelight...wine...2 lamb chops....quiet music....that sounds like Atmosphere with a Capital "A", the kind for intimate dinner a deux. Is there something (or someone) your leaving out of this memoir?

Anonymous said...

Just beware of the CGI Tin Tin movie allegedly being cooked up by Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: I'm a woman who knows how to spoil herself on occasion.
Also, this isn't a memoir, just a rambling blog. So a lot of detail in my life is left out. (Trust me, it's better that way!) I have one lamb shank left... it's heating right now. Yummy.

Edward: Really? Ace Girl Spy is on the hunt for more information on the internet. The only way it could possibly work is if they stayed completely true to the esthetic of the drawings, the soft colours, the wonderful historical detail of all those cars, etc. But the voices... oh no... my mind is racing. This isn't going to be pretty is it?

Anonymous said...

Rambling...ambling...you do it so well! And, who better to spoil oneself than oneself? After all, as the L'oreal people tell us "Your worth it!"

Anonymous said...

You speak wisely O Anonymous one.

The second lamb shank was lovely. Almost better reheated. The sauce was very reduce and thick and tasty. I'm listening to J.J. Cale singing "Magnolia."

Sigh...