Thursday, February 28, 2008

Quote of the Day

"Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. They'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore. But I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no I don't want that time to come either. I want to remember every minute, always... always to the end of my days."

Officially my favourite quote / tear-enducing moment of all time. Celia Johnson as Laura Jesson, as she leaves behind the love of her life in Brief Encounter, 1945. What can I say... I agree. There's not a heart-ache that in some way I don't treasure. Not because I have a particularly neurotic need for misery, but because I feel so blessed that I have been loved - yes - but, more importantly that I have loved. When I am not looking forward, sometimes I have to look back, and its these memories, in their different forms, that are a very imporant part of what make my life worth living. I'm a romantic, I'm a devotee of Love and the love we feel as humans is what sets us apart, and what we spend so much energy in trying to express in art. I've talked about this scene before... the fading of her companion's voice and the light dimming around her and focussing on Celia Johnson's great, sad eyes, and that perfect voice-over coming in. This scene is in the first ten minutes of the film and I am swept away with the most satisfying tears. Thank you for sharing my chick moment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This film is the best. It would be nothing without Celia Johnson. Those close ups on her face are amazing. I'm in love with the dashing young Trevor Howard. Aren't David Lean's train shots fabulous? And the music...it's perfect. I have to watch this film at least six or eight times a year. Time to pop it in again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Willow - I'm with you there. In fact I think I'll watch BE tonight. You'll be interested in this piece of information then, if you don't already know: Houston Grand Opera is giving the world premier of BE (THE OPERA!) next year. It's by Andre Previn. I can't imagine what it will be like. Part of me is appalled, part totally fascinated. I think I may make a visit to HGO to see this next year.

http://www.houstongrandopera.org/page.aspx?pageid=12017629

Anonymous said...

You are kidding! That is incredible. No I hadn't heard. Wow...do you know who will sing the roles? Oh, see you have the website posted there...I have to take a look...

Anonymous said...

Just looked...Elizabeth Futral and Nathan Gunn. Well cast. I want to go!

Anonymous said...

I didn't check to see when tix go on sale, but I think I'm going to get one. :)