Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Rare Subject Indeed

Believe it or not there are some foods that I have disliked and / or do now.

As a kid I couldn't stand savoury foods with bits of real ginger in them. I think I had bitten down on a very large, potent piece of it once and it put me off for a long time. I don't mind it now.

I hated beetroot. And for some reason to do with English school dinners, I had the idea that what it was I couldn't stand was tinned peaches. My mother, who wouldn't have let a piece of tinned fruit in the house, nonetheless was confused as to why I hated peaches in any form. It took literally years for me to figure out that beetroot were not peaches, or vice versa. Definitely one of my "not the shiniest penny in the fountain" moments. I don't mind it now, especially in borscht. Mmmmm... borscht. And I love peaches. What's not to love there... mmmmmmm.

I also couldn't stand carroway seeds in bread or anything pickled and I still don't eat these things. That includes olives. My mother despairs!

I've never drunk coffee! But I do love my tea. Here's another silly party game: go around the group and have everyone write down how they feel about coffee. Then, before you read out all the comments, tell them it's how they feel about sex. It's quite funny to the puerile (my) mind. You get remarks like "I can't start the day without it" or "I have to have it three times a day" or "I really like to take my time and savour it" or "I just grab it on the run" or "I only have it at home." When I was tricked into playing it, I got quite a round of laughter for my response: "I love the smell but I don't like the taste." Dagnabit!

As for the previous post, I do like anchovies and I love Marmite but I really don't like cilantro.

Boy, turns out I'm more of a fusspot than originally I suspected. Well, I make up for my dislikes with VAST QUANTITIES of likes. :)

Okay, time to 'fess up. I've been babbling on here in an attempt to avoid working on my resumé. I'm going back to it right... (consults second hand on watch)... NOW.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've heard anyone say "dagnabit" since my dad did in 1959!! :):):)

Did you watch the oscars? I'm happy to say that my choices for best actor and actress won! yea!

Anonymous said...

lol.... Dagnabit is a great word.

I saw the Oscars and I liked all the wins (rare) although have yet to see La Vie en Rose. The clips where they showed her transformation are incredible. I shall see it asap.

Anonymous said...

Marion is fabulous in La Vie en Rose. I had seen it some time back and after she won the oscar I had to see it again. Stopped by the library yesterday and the film was just sitting there all alone in the French section of the foreign films. What's the matter with people around here? Anyway, I grabbed it and watched it again last night. You will enjoy it. Fascinating makeup in the aging of Paif.