Monday, February 25, 2008

Quote of the Day

[In this scene, Mr. Pickwick - spending a splendid Christmas at Manor Farm - has fallen through the ice while skating, and is rushed home and put to bed...]

Mr. Pickwick paused not an instant until he was snug in bed. Sam Weller lighted a blazing fire in the room, and took up his dinner; a bowl of punch was carried up afterwards, and a grand carouse held in honour of his safety. Old Wardle would not hear of his rising, so they made the bed the chair, and Mr. Pickwick presided. A second and third bowl were ordered in; and when Mr. Pickwick awoke next morning, there was not a symptom of rheumatism about him: which proves, as Mr. Bob Sawyer justly observed, that there is nothing like hot punch in such cases: and that if ever hot punch did fail to act as a preventative, it was merely because the patient fell into the vulgar error of not taking enough of it.

From The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

I love Dickens' generous use of colons and semi-colons. So does John Irving, and that's good enough for me. When I first joined my book group, they very kindly let me pick the book for the second meeting I attended. I seemed to recall that Pickwick Papers had some good Christmassy stuff in it, and this was November, so I suggested it. When I went to purchase my copy the next day I was horrified to find it was 900 pages long. However, once esconced in the world of Pickwick and his friends and nemeses, and the magical Sam Weller, I was hooked forever. I still read the Christmas chapters every year, from Mr. Pickwick being ambushed with kisses to the last mince tart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I trust one Guinness today was enough?

R

Anonymous said...

I trust one comment today will be enough?

(You, of all, should know better than that. Smacked bottoms will be in order soon enough.)

Anonymous said...

Hey...that's not fair...I liked what princess had to say. ;)