Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Quote of the Day

"3 p.m.: The Nap" is the title of chapter eight of How to be Idle, that great little book by my hero, Tom Hodgkinson. In it he quotes Winston Churchill:

"You must sleep sometime between lunch and dinner, and no halfway measures. Take off your clothes and get into bed. That's what I always do. Don't think you will be doing less work because you sleep during the day. That's a foolish notion held by people who have no imagination. You will be able to accomplish more. You get two days in one - well at least one and a half, I'm sure. When the war started, I had to sleep during the day because that was the only way I could cope with my responsibilities."

Thanks Mr. H. and Mr. C.! This chapter is very close to my heart. I have become a proficient napper. I look forward to these little escapes into the arms of Morpheus, and feel all the better for them when I awake, stretching, yawning, idly gazing out of the window as I let my body wake up in its little stages. It is soothing, comforting, healing, indulgent, sensual, and my absolute right. I embrace my freedom to nap!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taking a nap is something I have never done! It sounds wonderful...a little siesta in the afternoon....hmmm...maybe I'm missing something....afterall, Churchill definitely was a wise man! :)

Anonymous said...

Naps are a good thing. Especially on that day you took off and decide to take one in the afternoon.

Anonymous said...

BPG,
Thanks for this little post on napping. You make me feel so much better about taking a nap when needed. The older I get, I have found my sleeping patterns vary and I sometimes find myself having to take a nap due to insomnia. I took one today having a small break during my teaching piano. It was wonderful and refreshing... energizing!
The Bach

Anonymous said...

With all these wonderful posts on fine dining, Suza and I will be over to delight in the taster's choice. Everything looks so good... now I'm hungry...
The Bach

Anonymous said...

There is nothing better than a good nap. And look how productive Churchill was! Yeah for naps!

Anonymous said...

All - naps are a good medicine. Betsy, you'll have to let us know if you try a nap sometime and how you find it. I love them!

Bach - I'll take requests and cook for you and Suza any time!