Thursday, May 22, 2008

Song of the Day

I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart

I want to be a cowboy's sweetheart
I want to learn to rope and to ride
I want to ride o'er the plains and the deserts
Out west of that great divide
I want to hear the coyotes howlin'
While the sun sinks in the West
I want to be a cowboy's sweetheart
That's the life I love the best

(Yodeling)

I want to ride Old Paint goin' at a run
I want to feel the wind in my face
A thousand miles from all the city lights
Goin' a cowhand's pace
I want to pillow my head near the sleeping herd
While the moon shines down from above
I want to strum my guitar and yodelay-hee-hoo
Oh that's the life that I love

(Yodeling)

I want to be a cowboy's sweetheart
I want to learn to rope and to ride
I want to ride o'er the plains and the deserts
Out west of that great divide
I want to hear the coyotes howlin'
While the sun sinks in the West
I want to be a cowboy's sweetheart
That's the life I love the best

(Yodeling)


Okay, enough yodeling already. I don’t know much about country-western music, but I love this one. I first heard it featured on the soundtrack of Lone Star (1996) - it plays during the closing credits. This was written by Rubye Blevins, better known under her stage name of Patsy Montana. She recorded this in 1935 and it was the first country-western song by a female artist to sell over 1,000,000 copies. It has since been covered many times by other recording stars, but I’ve never heard them.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy Pardner!

As a reference point, I do not care for country music... the modern stuff is more or less countrified general purpose rock and roll - the middle of the road variety.

But when you talk of Pastsy Montna or Bob Wills, that's another story.

Montana's Western Swing style is infectious - quite fun.

There have been a few modern artists keeping faith with the Montana-Wills style, I'm certain followers can name contemporary artists doing so.

Since I have only paid attention to a only few that have done variants of Western Swing, my selecton is quite limited.

In the later 70s, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks recorded a few WS type songs. Maria Mauldar did likewise. I suppose the most obvious group playing Western Swing is Asleep At The Wheel.

Other than that, I kinda like the late 30s and early 40s movies when Hollywood was making the modern setting-dude ranch-singing cowpoke-western-comedy-musicals.

Dang I can' find ma spurs!

Anonymous said...

Well, I've never heard this song! But the words are cute....I'll have to try to find it with the music to get the full effect. I can just see you in a cowgirl hat and boots! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very cool song. I actually hear the coyotes howl at night here in the high desert. And sometimes they even walk through my yard. But my sweetheart ain't no cowboy.

Anonymous said...

Cool lyrics. And in reply to your comment, he'll see you at the pub at 6pm.

He's the only one wearing an Akubra (an Aussie Outback hat) instead of a Stetson!!

Anonymous said...

Hey...I'm back into the full swing of blog! What have I missed?

For starters, I love your fabulous new header and your shameless tree hugger pic!!

Put on the tea kettle and I'll take one of Betsy's cookies, if there are any left, please!

I make a similar salmon in the crust thing, only mine has rice, mushrooms and cabbage inside. Yours looks marvelous, Ace Girl Spy!

Anonymous said...

Interesting choice of songs....you would be quite a catch for any cowboy.....

Anonymous said...

You know, if you are going to be a cowboy's girlfriend, you are going to have to give up cooking all those fancy dishes like salmon en croute and learn to do something simple like beans in a skillet over a campfire. (and maybe a few hush puppies!) :D

Anonymous said...

Princess, this takes me back to the womb. When I was born, the No. 1 hit single was Frank Ifield’s She Taught Me To Yodel. My mother was a massive fan of his and played the record throughout her pregnancy.

My favourite country music song title is “It won’t hurt when I fall off this bar stool, the whiskey will break my fall” by Dwight Yoakum.

Anonymous said...

Bill - I'm with you, I love old country. A few months ago I heard a great a capella mountain song sung by Dolly Parton. It was beautiful and haunting. Wish I could remember what it was called. Something about a mountain. I'll have to do a search. Ace Girl Spy on the job!


Betsy - I did a youtube search, with no luck. :( As for my cowboy, I'm willing to learn. Heh heh.

San - wow... Santa Fe... sigh...

David - is that the one with corks suspended from the rim? Hee hee.

Willow - Welcome back! Mmmmmmmmm... dagnabit that dish sounds good! (I figure "dagnabit" is perfect for this post).

Talented Man - why thank you. I'll make sure to perfect my hush puppies first.

Mr. Stainforth - the music you learn in the womb is very potent in later life. As for your favourite song title... well those country song titles are worth a post all on their own. I like "You're the reason our kids are so ugly." :)