Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not my Bag, Baby

I started watching the repeat of the Met's HD broadcast of Roméo et Juliette, with Anna Netrebko and Roberto Alagna but I stopped pretty quickly. Here are my reasons:

1. They had no chemistry
2. He was wearing baby-blue velvet or something. Ugh.
3. He has a coarse voice, not at all suited to the role. We need an Alfredo Krauss type here.
4. She is so ravishingly beautiful but her ball gown was so grown up, she looked far too mature for the part, yet still played it somewhat girlishly. Odd combo.
5. We're spoiled here in Toronto with the COC's chorus. I find the Met chorus very wobbly. I'm not sure what their procedure is for weeding out the tired voices, but they don't seem to be.

I'm going to bed with J. J. Cale. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m not going to bed with Anna Netrebko, more’s the pity. The New York Times noted that some critics have called her the new Callas. To which the only answer is, “No, she’s the current Netrebko”.

Anonymous said...

The press is often challenged to find clever remarks.