Sunday, May 25, 2008

The 'Hood, Part Deux

Welcome back to my 'hood!

We leave St. James' Cathedral gardens (this time in sunlight)...




... and pass by St. Lawrence Hall, a very lovely building which is home to Opera Atelier and beautiful spaces that are rented for all sorts of special occasions. It also houses Biagio restaurant, which is an elegant spot to eat.




Walking south through a little pedestrian mews between King and Front streets, we turn back and see the spire before entering Front Street.




Looking west we see the lovely flatiron building, behind which you see the CN Tower, the world's tallest building (553 m, or 1815 ft tall).




The flatiron is having some work done on it I guess. I love this place, and it's home to a nice pub. In a week or two, if that work is completed, this building will be surrounded by an outdoor patio and lots of flower boxes.




Turning back east, here is my local liquor store, housed in part of Front Street's elegant facade.




And further east again, this is the St. Lawrence Market. From 1845 to 1899 it served as the first city hall. Since 1901, it has been Toronto's premiere food market, housing dozens of vendors specializing in every kind of food, from fresh, to ready-to-eat. I visit it several times a week, usually in off-hours, the best time to go. On Saturday it's very crowded but anytime is good: be sure to visit it if you come to town.




A couple of inside views:




Freedom from want:




The view from the north market (being renovated soon) towards the St. Lawrence Market. This is a delightful pedestrian walkway which houses a great health supplements store and a small cinema.




We have some stunning lilac out just now: pinks, purples, white. I buried my nose in this particular blossom for about 10 minutes, getting drunk on the perfume.




Lilacs and blossoms:




Okay, back to my place for a cup of tea and a madeleine. (I made them again for tea, by popular demand.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was so fun! Thanks for another tour. I especially liked seeing the places you frequent. How fun to shop at that famous market! And I can just see you coming out of that shop with your Guiness!...and on to another shop for your dark chocolate and some tea. Fun, fun! And that dark pink lilac is really something!

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to hit St. Lawerence Market.

Anonymous said...

Very nice and good for you. A people friendly city seems common sense - yet how many places have yet to figure it out.

So, do you any work for the tourism department? - if not then they should be sent your blog link. Again, very nice.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, thanks for the tour. Now I don't have to drive to Toronto :) I hate driving in Toronto, but it looks like you've got a pretty scenic and varied locale there. Nice to have a market close by too - can find more interesting stuff there than say, Zehrs. Got a good farmer's market around here too that has a lot of good food. Making me hungry...

Anonymous said...

Upon prompting from a certain Blog Princess I also submerged my nose into the exact same blossoms and I have to confess to a lilac intoxication. I keep wanting to go back for more. Is there a 12-step program for this? :)

Anonymous said...

Great 'hood. I love Tronno.

ABP