Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Quote of the Day

"In my case, self-absorption is completely justified. I have never discovered any other subject quite so worthy of my attention."



This line was given by the wonderful Clifton Webb as Waldo Lydecker in Laura (1944), a great, stylish, film noir with a cast featuring the lovely Gene Tierney in the title role, Dana Andrews as the rough-hewn detective, Judith Anderson and Vincent Price. The greatest star of the picture is probably the theme song, penned by David Raksin.



It's a lot of fun, although I was always bothered, even as a young girl, by the fact that Laura's portrait was the dominant feature in her living room. It seemed a bit de trop. I have to watch this one at least once a year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tee hee...the quote would be a perfect one for my blog header! :)

I have never seen this film! Another one I'll have to get from the library. They have done such a good job cleaning up and transfering these old films to DVD. It makes them a joy to watch.

The Red Shoes is on its way to my library brach. :)

Anonymous said...

You can tell I was typing these comments this morning without my contacts...sorry about all the typos! :) ..should be "dangerous" in the previous comment...and "branch" in this one. :P

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. No worries.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you know this story about Gene Tierney. She felt her voice wasn't as movie-deep as she desired. So she took up smoking. True enough her voice deepened and sadly smoking killed her.

I once caught part of a discussion between Roger Ebert and another critic - the topic, movie smoking. Both agreed about the perils of smoking but Roger was convincing concerning the mystery and film presence smoking adds to scenes.

Gene Tierney was a glamorous smoker sure enough - but at such a cost.

Anonymous said...

Film smoking is very glamorous.

Liam Neeson at the beginning of "Schindler's List" smoked just wonderfully. Bette Davis and Paul Henreid blowing perfectly choreographed puffs of smoke towards each other in the final scene of "Now Voyager"...

Sigh... if ONLY it were good for us.

I've never partaken. My nonno died of emphysema. And I was made to promise at the age of 8 that I never would smoke, and I kept it.

Anonymous said...

And I didn't know that story about Gene Tierney... madness!