Sunday, April 13, 2008

New Pantry Stock

My weakness is food shops, especially those of more unusual ingredients. Below are my latest purchases:

1. Marmite, available everywhere, but this is really big jar from Lively Life in the St. Lawrence Market, a wonderful shop to visit, in a magnificent market.

2. Pink peppercorns, which were harder to find. Can't remember the name of the store! D'oh.

3. Organic Madagascar vanilla. Yum! (Same forgotten store)

4. Pure gold stars, not "edible gold" which is often flakes of copper, but the real McCoy. Hopelessly expensive, but will look amazing on next Christmas's cognac truffles and maybe the next batch of cupcakes. Yes! I want to try GUINNESS cupcakes from this wonderful blog. Don't they look incredible? Stay tuned. The gold stars were purchased from McCalls.


I wanted to show you how small the gold stars are. See below. It's so tiny... the star I mean, not the sausagey top joint of my little finger. Actually, my little finger isn't sausagey at all, it's just huge behind the tiny star, plus I like saying "sausagey." Or any variation there of.



Sausage, sausage, sausage.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never knew that about edible gold.I love finding culinary treasures. It has overtaken regular clothes shopping for me.I guess because a lot of my day job is spent in Dept stores ,I look for new things.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, it's such fun seeking out these treasures, and I love all the different packaging.

As for the edible gold, I've heard a few variations of the issue of purchasing it in Canada. What is now "edible gold" is copper, because Health Canada has deemed it safe to identify as "edible." But the pure gold is safe in small doses. Health Canada apparently doesn't want to encourage gulping down huge amounts of it (which wouldn't be good for you) so won't call it "edible", although not many could afford to take it in such quantities anyway.

The above may not be accurate, but this is what I have gleaned from talking to four different suppliers in the past week.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm… I wonder what interesting concoction one could make using only these four ingredients!

Anonymous said...

Me,too! I love those little specialty stores! It's so fun to bring home a little something to try! Love the stars! Yes, little truffles at Christmas would be adorable with those as accents! Nice purchases!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing the Marmite container! ;) Those little gold stars are so teeny and cute.

Anonymous said...

Aaah! Marmite!

I grew up with Marmite but always disliked feeling so thirsty after eating it.

I bought some organic free range eggs from the local shop the other day. They turned into some fine scrambled eggs, lovely golden yolks. Inspired by that I decided to go for broke and have a boiled egg with toast and Marmite this morning.

Marmite makes a nice stir-through sauce for fresh pasta.

Both Marmite and Vegemite apparently have some caramel for colouring purposes. To me Marmite tastes a little sweeter than Vegemite. I think basically you eat the one you grew up with and if you didn’t grow up with one or the other there’s no way you’ll ever touch either with the proverbial barge pole!

Anonymous said...

PAH! I laugh at Vegemite.

Actually, I've never tried Vegemite, that is the power of the Marmite brand on me.

You've used it in pasta??? You mean I can add my favourite salty gop to more carb-based foods? Wow, I never even considered it. Is it just the Marmite, or do you add anything else?

Anonymous said...

1 tsp Marmite, 1 tsp butter stirred into warm pasta, especially fusilli. Or substitute olive oil for butter.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying it R.A.D.!! Can't wait!