Friday, April 25, 2008

Quote(s) of the Day

Where do I start? Where do I stop? William Morris speaks wisely and truly to us now as he did over a 100 years ago:

~*~

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

~*~

"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not a misery, but the very foundation of refinement; a sanded floor and whitewashed walls and the green trees, and flowery meads, and living waters outside."

~*~

"I do not want art for a few any more than education for a few, or freedom for a few."

~*~

"One man with an idea in his head is in danger of being considered a madman: two men with the same idea in common may be foolish, but can hardly be mad; ten men sharing an idea begin to act, a hundred draw attention as fanatics, a thousand and society begins to tremble, a hundred thousand and there is war abroad, and the cause has victories tangible and real; and why only a hundred thousand? Why not a hundred million and peace upon the earth? You and I who agree together, it is we who have to answer that question."

~*~

"No man is good enough to be another's master."

~*~

"It is right and necessary that all men should have work to do which shall be worth doing, and be of itself pleasant to do; and which should he done under such conditions as would make it neither over-wearisome nor over-anxious."

~*~

"I love art, and I love history, but it is living art and living history that I love. It is in the interest of living art and living history that I oppose so-called restoration. What history can there be in a building bedaubed with ornament, which cannot at the best be anything but a hopeless and lifeless imitation of the hope and vigor of the earlier world?"

~*~

"I hope that we shall have leisure from war, - war commercial, as well as war of the bullet and the bayonet; leisure from the knowledge that darkens counsel; leisure above all from the greed of money, and the craving for that overwhelming distinction that money now brings: I believe that, as we have even now partly achieved liberty , so we shall achieve equality , and best of all, fraternity , and so have leisure from poverty and all its griping, sordid cares."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing William Morris' quotes with us. This is a great discovery. Could I have permission to copy his picture for my post card collection? Let me know. I love his quotes! If only we would adhere to them.

Anonymous said...

Please use the picture... I "borrowed" it. :)

I'g lad you like his quotes. His passion and optimism and tireless attempts to do the work he felt was important is such an inspiration to me.

Anonymous said...

I loved these quotes....several I'm familiar with and some were new to me. Very nice blog entry!
And I see you've met our sweet Uncle, too! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, you and your sister and Uncle... what a delightful family... and great bloggers! :)