Saturday, April 5, 2008

Ms Davis's 100th

"Nothing can hurt us now. What we have can't be destroyed. That's our victory - our victory over the dark. It is a victory because we're not afraid."

The incomparable Bette Davis as Judith Traherne in Dark Victory (1939).


Phil reminds us that today is Bette Davis's 100th birthday. There is no-one to touch her. She could be fragile, vicious, terrifying, endearing, heartbreaking, beautiful, unattractive, compassionate or cruel.

She is a constant inspiration and a wonder to me. The following titles are just my favourites among a very long list of great performances:

Jezebel (1938)
Dark Victory (1939)
All This, and Heaven Too (1940)
The Letter (1940)
Now, Voyager (1942)
Mr. Skeffington (1944)
All About Eve (1950)

(Bette Davis photographed by the great George Hurrell in 1940.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you've been puttering around on your site today! Nice little tweaking you have done! :)

Anonymous said...

I sure have! Thanks Betsy... :)

Anonymous said...

That is THE best picture of Bette Davis! I gave my copy of "Now Voyager" to my daughter...think I'm going to have to borrow it. She is crazy about her! (oh...and I like her, too) :)

I agree, your blog and sidebar look nice. The pink against the black is great! I think I have the same little dish as in your header...is it "Forget Me Not" by Royal Worchester?

Anonymous said...

Love "Dark Victory" - one of my favourites. To counteract "Dark Victory" you seem to be in the pink. Pretty jewels - mmmmm... shiny!

Anonymous said...

Willow, I was given two of those little Forget-me-not dishes about 20 years ago - I really treasure them. Very small. And they are one of my favourite flowers.

I've not heard anyone reference them before - how cool that you have one!

Suza... I know you are with me in my appreciation of the twinkly things. Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Suza ~ Dangit, and the watercolour... and.... okay, no teasing. I will make this up to you!

Anonymous said...

Suza ~ remember when we made some earrings? Well, I'm on the jewellery (note spelling!) track again, and will be beading ere long. Watch your Christmas stocking next December, sparkly girl!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do remember - it was great fun and I felt quite creative. I still get comments on them. I can hardly wait for Christmas now that I know you are on a beading bent. In terms of the watercolour... I will believe it when I see it my dear friend!! :)