Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cosy Chili Dinner

A Readers’ Recipe Contest in Alive magazine declared the following recipe the winner. It was submitted by Eliza Leahy. I’m transcribing it here and I hope she doesn’t mind. I’ve made it lots of times and it’s really yummy. And you don’t miss the meat at all. I use Mexican-flavoured ground tofu and I make a double batch each time in my big stock pot. It says "Serves 4" for one batch but I get about 10 lunches out of it… if I’m not being too greedy!

Tonight, the dining-room table was covered with cake-in-progress, so we ate at the coffee table with guacamole, sour cream and grated cheddar in small bowls. Also a big bowl of tortilla chips. And Corona beer. A very fun and cosy dinner.



Hearty Veggie Chili

1 tbsp butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed or finely chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oegano, dried
1 jalapeño pepper, finely copped
1 tsp basil, dried
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
28 oz. can of diced plum tomatoes with juice
12 oz. package of seasoned ground tofu
19 oz. can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed.

Over medium heat sauté butter and onion until onions are clear. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, jalapeno, and basil. Sauté for 1 minute, stirring to mix. Add carrots, celery, and green pepper and sauté for a few minutes to soften. Stir in remaining ingredients (tomatoes, ground tofu, and beans) and bring almost to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 1 hour. The longer it simmers, the better. Adjust spices to taste. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese and serve with crusty bread (garlic bread is good, too).

Serves 4.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello? Hi there, you do take-out, right? Ok then, here's what I'd like, two orders of Cosy Chili Dinner and do you have a recommended wine? If so, add that to the order, my Master Card number is .....

Anonymous said...

Who, me???

Eliza Leahy - Australian Artist
www.elizasart.com

Anonymous said...

You are making me so hungry! This is a recipe I will try. We like all kinds of chili and I have been looking for a good meatless one. Thank you.

Your supper looks so cozy and yummy!

Anonymous said...

Yum! What a beautiful picture, too....makes me want to pull up a chair and put some of those wonderful toppings on a bowlful!
We love chili! :)

Anonymous said...

I never understood tofu.

I put it in the cheese section of my fridge and then I ignore it, day after day after day.

After a couple of weeks, I throw it out.

What is wrong with me?

Anonymous said...

We will try this recipe for sure, thank you for posting it ; ) I am loving your table arrangement too, especially the Moroccan looking lamp? Magical..

Anonymous said...

Totally off-topic, but how goes the reading of My Antonia? I've always avoided it, warned off by people who assure me I wouldn't like it. But I'm curious...

Anonymous said...

Bill ~ we drank beer with our chili. :) I'll check out Hugh Johnson next time I eat it, see what he recommends.

Eliza Leahy... well you tell us... is it you? :) It is a pretty artful chili...

R.A.D. ~ I got the seasoned stuff... I mean, all tofu has to be helped along doesn't it? This recipe is yummy, honest guv.

Willow and Betsy, your table awaits!

Kite - I love your blog!

Edward ~ I shall be writing more on this later tonight, but I've liked all I've read of Willa Cather before. What were you told about this book? I'm curious.