Wednesday, April 16, 2008

On Pictures

I took two lovely posters to be framed today. It's one of my favourite things to do. My framer is a shy, silent, somewhat taciturn man, who really knows his frames. When I was getting The Meeting on the Turret Stairs framed, I had no idea what to choose. I'd never asked his opinion before, but now I did, and he just silently took a frame down and held it to the picture. I would not in a thousand years have picked out that frame, but it was absolutely perfect. Since then he has shyly come out of his shell and now we have a very happy time picking frames.

I used that same frame when I got a print of this wonderful painting that hangs in the Art Gallery of Ontario.

It's titled L'Épee (The Sword). It was painted in 1896 by the Frenchman Arthur Agache. The words at the top right read "Pro iustitia tantum" ("On behalf of Justice only"). I think it's very powerful. It hangs in my bedroom where I see it before I leave each morning and I feel inspired by it. The woman in the painting reminds me somewhat of the wonderful French actress, Fanny Ardant.

I can't wait to get my new posters back, and decide where they are going. One is a Ricordi poster for Tosca, the other is Arizona Opera's photo-illustration for The Flying Dutchman. I also have their La Fanciulla dal West, another Puccini. Oh, and they're all opera-based, I just realized that.

Some of my wall adornments are original art, but there are paintings I will never own that I need to have around me, to inspire and delight me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

L'Epee is beautiful! This piece and artist are new to me. I'll have to do some more investigating...

I see on your sidebar that you are reading Cather. I've never read any of her books, but have wanted to. Keep us posted on that!

Anonymous said...

John Lennon was once asked what music he listened to .. he replied, his own. He went on to say that when he did listen to other's music he tended to pick up bits and pieces of the music and that in turn influenced what he was doing. So, by not listening to others he felt he could create something that reflected his own vision.

I enjoy gallery walks, art museums and such and I do find they influence what I do. I also find other people's art work a great motivator - Good work always creates a personal challenge. When I look at my own stuff, I'm slightly indifferent and I mostly see the alternate, that is, what I could have done. And that somehow is the spark to start something new.

Originals or copies - if art inspires, motivates, agitates or simply gives pleasure, go for it - those walls need to speak to you!

Anonymous said...

Willow ~ I've read some Cather, but never this and I was inspired to get it from Phil of Vagabond's Sketchbook. I will definitely keep you posted. The "fiction" part of my blog is a little neglected. Hee hee.

Bill ~ I agree. The artist cannot live in a vacuum. My writing is helped greatly by listening to certain music. It depends what I'm writing but it is almost always one, long piece that I will play as I begin a session. As I make my tea and turn on my computer, I have it playing and it's always selected to get me in the frame of mind for that particular work. It plays on a loop and when it's the right piece, I don't tire of it.

Anonymous said...

This print is beautiful. I'm much in the same boat with prints as well. I have some original works ( other than my own drawings..LOL!!) but like you stated, some of my favorites will never be in my possession, so I have prints. At least we get to live with our favorite works of art that way.

Lovely post...

Anonymous said...

I know the 'Meeting on the turret stairs', so romantic, and it resonates with mystery and longing, I love it. "The Sword" is majestic, I didn't know it, but it is indeed very powerful. I love the way you write about the shy framer and your slowly developing friendship with him - I could visualise the scene very well :) Lovely post, Blog Princess!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca and Kite - thank you for your lovely and always welcome comments! :)