Sunday, April 6, 2008

Song of the Day

Edward's latest post helped me remember this song, that has been haunting me for days. It's one of my favourites... even though I couldn't recall it properly!

Where or When
(Rodgers and Hart)

Sometimes you think you've lived before
All that you live today
Things you do come back to you
As though they knew the way
Oh, the tricks your mind can play!

It seem we stood and talked like this before
We looked at each other in the same way then,
But I can't remenber where or when.
The clothes you're wearing are the clothes you wore.
The smile you are smiling you were smilimg then,
But I can't remember where or when.

Some things that happend for the first time,
Seem to be happening again.
Amd so it seems that we have met before
and laughed before
and loved before,
But who knows where or when.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm better at music and old movies than food - One of my favorite versions of "Where or When" is by Peggy Lee. It was one of her early songs done when she was with Benny Goodman.

Anonymous said...

The thing about this song is, the lyrics by themselves seem sweet and romantic, but with the music added, they become almost unbearably sad.

And why is it that I love almost everything Richard Rodgers wrote with Lorenz Hart, but very little of what his output with Oscar Hammerstein?

Anonymous said...

Bill - I don't know Peggy Lee's version, shall look it up. Thanks :)

Edward - that is such a good point, and I never thought about it before. Saw this on Wikipedia:

'Comparisons between Rodgers and Hart and the successor team of Rodgers and Hammerstein are inevitable. Hammerstein's lyrics project warmth, sincere optimism, and occasional corniness. Hart's lyrics showed greater sophistication in subject matter, more use of overt verbal cleverness, and more of a "New York" or "Broadway" sensibility. The archetypal Rodgers and Hart song, "Manhattan," rhymes "The great big city's a wondrous toy/Just made for a girl and boy" in the first stanza, then reprises with "The city's glamor can never spoil/The dreams of a boy and goil" in the last. Many of the songs ("Falling in Love with Love", "Little Girl Blue", "My Funny Valentine") are wistful or sad, and emotional ambivalence seems to be perceptible in the background of even the sunnier songs. For example, "You Took Advantage of Me" appears to be an evocation of amorous joy, but the very title suggests some doubt as to whether the relationship is mutual or exploitative.'

Anonymous said...

Hello Blog Princess! I found you on Willow's Blog and loved this post. I have George Michael's version of "Where or When" on my blog playlist. If you haven't heard his version, it's beautiful. I loved when this song was played in The English Patient ( one of my favorite movies). It's when The count and Katherine are dancing at the hotel...Lovely scene...

Rebecca (Ladies' Historical Tea Society)

Anonymous said...

Rebecca ~ I don't know GM's version and don't remember the scene in The English Patient, but I will check them out.... and visit your blog in turn. Thanks for visiting! :)